MelbDjango Tab Dump: April 2017
Last night at MelbDjango I did a quick "tab dump" talk where I introduced people to some podcasts, new projects and Django news.
Here are the links:
- The Django 1.11 release notes
- You too can Dontate to the DSF like Daryl and myself did on stage
- The proposed new "It worked" page is awesome. It would be a great Django 2.0 feature
- Django 1.11.1 isn't out yet, but the release notes already include a number of bug fixes
- Talk Python to Me longer-form interview based show
- Python Bytes for weekly Python news
- podcast.__init__ - new one to me (thanks to the audience member who yelled this one out)
- Elky is back with django-flat-responsive, a responsive admin theme.
- I found Djagno Apps Checklist on Github and will definitely look at using it for my next reusable Django app.
- Flango is Kenneth Reitz's somewhat crazy take on using the Django ORM with Flask's views / URL routing.
We also touched on the idea of "scratching your own itch" to get into Django and Python. I recommended Automate the Boring Stuff as a practical programming tutorial with that aim. Then I showed of my own list of tiny websites that are mostly built with Django and do small things I'd otherwise do manually.